Saturday, February 09, 2013

Kitchen Avalanche Remedy

I love organizing and decluttering, but it is lonely work, so I keep procrastinating. I keep hoping a friend or relative will join me for a fun day of taking nasty things out of cabinets! It's time to face reality, no one wants to party at my house like this!

So, I'm going to chronicle my organizing pursuits here, because it is the spark I need to get started, and I can pretend you are with me. Writing a blog post in my head while I work makes a task much more interesting to complete.Although, I'm sure it is not exactly riveting material.

Before I got started, I had to deal with this:


I noticed there was a water under the sink last night and pulled everything out to find the source of the leak. I shined the flashlight all around, felt every pipe, caressed the garbage disposal, yet none were wet. Nothing was wet except for the bottom of the cabinet. 


Brenden thinks the seal around the faucet is the culprit. 


So, I loaded everything back in, more neatly this time.


Somehow, I had made this mess since breakfast. I spent ten minutes clearing the counter and emptying the dishwasher.


Now, isn't this better? I would have felt totally broken down if I had started a new project with a dirty counter top.

This is the cabinet I was really after. Doesn't it look innocent?


It is a disaster! I try to get my rice cooker or stick blender and all kinds of crazy things tumble out after it.
    

 I was scared to even look inside.


Wow. Here's everything that emerged. Some of it I hadn't seen since we moved in over seven years ago. At least it is clear that I can get by without those things! The cabinet is very deep! I attached vinegary rag to my Swiffer so I could get it clean even in the back,


These things are leaving! Plastics are being recycled, and the rest is Goodwill-bound. Brenden came home and rescued the growler.  The portable chip-n-dip (or veggie tray) is nice and in good condition, but I'm not really the type who brings that to a party. I haven't used it in years.


I kept my rice cooker, pie plates, extra stock pot, cake pans, hand beater, stick blender, pitcher, travel egg plate, a vase, and a few plastic storage items (which are going in another drawer).


The best part is putting everything away neatly. I will no longer fear an avalanche!


2 comments:

TMC said...

The chip-n-dip carrier gets the boot but the travel egg tray gets to stay?!

Sarah said...

The egg tray had three things going for it. First, I do like making deviled eggs for parties. Second, it is pretty small and easy to stack. Last, I tried to transport eggs once on a regular plate and found it extremely frustrating. So even thought it is a unitasker, it made the cut! None of the above could be said for a chip-n-dip in my case.